Finally, it’s possible to root oneplus 6. Just a few weeks back, oneplus launched their latest flagship device – the oneplus 6. The phone has a 6.28 inches optic AMOLED display with a resolution of 1080 x 2280 pixels. It has Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 Octa-core processor accompanied by Adreno 630 GPU. Oneplus 6 runs on oxygen os Oreo 8.1, and it comes with 128/256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 64 GB, 6 GB RAM storage options. Follow this guide to root your oneplus 6.
You may like – uninstall system apps on android without root.
You should know the benefits to root oneplus 6. Rooting a device brings out more customization options on your phone. For an example, you can install special apps that require root access, or you can flash a custom rom and third-party mods to enhance the performance of your phone, also you can install themes on your device. But keep in mind rooting oneplus 6 will void your warranty, you won’t get any free service from service center after rooting. Here in this article i’ll show you how to unlock boot loader and flash TWRP recovery to root oneplus 6. This method is tested to root oneplus 6 running one Oxygen OS 5.1.6, and it shall on other versions too.
Declaration – Rooting voids the warranty of your phone, as well as it can damage your device if you skip any of these steps or don’t follow this guide properly. Proceed at your own risk, no one from Gadegctubes.com will take any kind of responsibility. Still if you blame us, i’ll laugh at you.
Root Oneplus 6 –
Before rooting your device, first take a backup of all the important data as the process will hard reset your phone. Now first of all, you’ve to install ADB fastboot drivers & PADnet driver on your PC.
Install ADB fastboot Drivers –
- Download oneplus 6 drivers from here and install this on your PC.
- Now download ADB driver from here.
- Run the adb setup file as administrator. To do this, right click on this file and choose “run as administrator“.
- Now you’ll get a blue screen like this. Simply type “Y” and hit enter.
- You’ve to type Y for three times and it’ll install all the required drives on your desktop.
PDANet drivers –
To root oneplus 6, you’ll need to have PDAnet installed on your computer. Otherwise you might errors like “device isn’t connected”.
- So click here and download pdanet drivers.
- Simply run the setup file and accept the terms and conditions.
- On the next screen, choose others as device manufacturer name and finish the installation.
Unlock Bootloader of Oneplus 6 –
It’s the first step to root oneplus 6. Unlocking bootloader allows you to modify the system of of your phone. Like you can flash custom image file onto that partition.
Note – This process will wipe all the internal data from your phone. A full backup is preferred.
- Connect your oneplus 6 to computer using a standard quality USB cable. Make sure that the cable don’t get disconnected on the half way.
- Press and hold the power key to switch off your device.
- Now hold volume up + power key to reboot to bootloader or fastboot mode.
- On your computer, Press shift key + Right click together and choose “open a command prompt window“.
- Copy the code from below and Enter the following command in the command prompt window, and it should show the serial number of your oneplus 6. If it’s showing nothing, the remove usb and connect it to pc again.
- Now again copy and enter this command in the command prompt window.
fastboot oem unlock
- Now you on device you’ll get a warning message asking you to unlock bootloader. Press the volume up key to select yes and then press power button continue.
- It’ll start to unlock the bootloader of oneplus 6. Once done, your device will reboot to factory settings.
Download Magisk for oneplus 6 –
We need to flash magisk zip to root oneplus 6. Download the latest version (v16.4) of magisk from here – download. After downloading, place the file in the internal storage of your device.
Download TWRP Recovery –
To get twrp image file for your oneplus 6, go to this link – https://dl.twrp.me/enchilada/.
Flash TWRP Recovery [Replace Stock Recovery] –
Now you’ve successfully unlocked the bootloader on your oneplus 6. Now we need to flash a custom recovery like TWRP to get the root access.
- Download twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img for oneplus 6 from above link and keep the file on your pc.
- Make sure your phone is connected with your computer or pc, or whatever you’re using.
- Reboot your oneplus to bootloader as before.
- Now go to the location where you downloaded the twrp img file. Open a command prompt window under the folder by pressing shift key + right click. Or you may open a cmd window, then drag and drop the downloaded file after the end of the following command.Like fastboot flash recovery (downloaded file name with extension).
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
- After entering the command, hit enter.
- Now it’ll replace the stock recovery permanently and will flash twrp custom recovery on oneplus 6.
- Now after flashing, disconnect the USB cable and switch off your phone.
- Press Volume down + power key together to boot into twrp recovery mode. In case if you don’t want to replace the stock recovery to root oneplus 6, check the method below.
Guide to Root oneplus 6 Without Replacing Stock Recovery –
- Simply follow the previous steps, just instead of using the previous command, use this use and hit enter.
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-enchilada.img
- This command will flash TWRP recovery temporarily on your device. So this will not replace the stock recovery.
- Now it’ll reboot your device into recovery mode within 10-15 minutes.
Gaining Root Access in Oneplus 6 –
- Now after booting into TWRP recovery mode, swipe and enable modification.
- Select your language – English preferred.
- Now tap on Never show this screen on boot again and swipe the bottom bar to allow modifications.
- Go to install> internal storage. And locate the downloaded magisk zip file.
- Choose the file and swipe to flash.
- After flashing, tap on reboot.
- And that’s all, you’ve successfully rooted your oneplus 6.
Having any doubts or facing troubles to root oneplus 6 ? let me know in the comments below.